Saturday, March 30, 2013

Banana Bread



For some reason I decided Thursday was the perfect day to make a ton of banana bread.  Don't ask me why, maybe it was because it'd been a frustrating day at work and S. was out of town and I love banana bread, but either way I soon found 8 disgustingly soggy defrosting ripe bananas on my kitchen table.

So I had to move quick.  We were out of eggs but from my search on egg replacers a day earlier I knew my plain yogurt should be a good replacement so I searched for some recipes and came across this!  My mom also gave me her delicious Banana Snack Cake recipe so I decided to try and make an egg-less version of that as well.  Finally my plan was to make these because I had a weird idea that I needed to use up all the bananas RIGHT NOW!

I put P!NK on repeat, started singing and began baking.  It was actually one of my cleaner baking experiences.  I used two bowls, one for the dry ingredients and one for melting the butter and for the wet ingredients and then reused them from recipe to recipe!  I think I'm finally learning.  I did forget to take pictures though, so that's a slow process.

First I made the Eggless Banana Bread subbing out plain non-fat yogurt for the applesauce, doubling the vanilla extract and with dried cranberries!  Into the oven that went.

Next up was my mom's Banana Snack Cake (see below).  Yogurt for eggs and with chocolate chips and crushed walnuts.  I failed to read that I should press the nuts on top and instead mixed them in with everything.

I then realized that I didn't have enough oats for Sally's Peanut Butter Banana Oat Bars.  Let's be honest, it's a good thing.  I put the remaining 2 bananas back in the freezer.

Unfortunately I think our oven might be broken because both recipes took forever to bake and I ended up turning it up to 400 since it didn't feel hot.

After a while a toothpick came out clean and I went to bed!  Who wants banana bread?

Banana Snack Cake

Eggless Banana Bread with Cranberries






Banana Snack Cake
(Mom’s Recipe)

Ingredients
            1 cup softened margarine or butter
            1 cup sugar
            2 eggs
            1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk with 1 Tbs vinegar)
            4 mashed medium bananas
            1 tsp vanilla extract
            2 cups flour
            1 cup quick-rolled oats
            1 1/2 tsp baking soda
            1/2 tsp salt
            6 oz. chocolate chips
            1/2 cups chopped pecans (or a different type of nut)
Directions
            1. Preheat oven to 3500F
            2. In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar together with a mixer until fluffy.
            3. Mix in eggs
            4. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla, mixing well
            5. In a separate bowl, stir flour, oats, soda and salt to mix
            6. Gradually stir flour mixture into butter mixture; mix well
            7. Stir in bananas
            8. Spread in a greased 9” x 13” baking pan
            9. Sprinkle nuts on top and press lightly
            10. Bake for 30-35 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment