Saturday, March 9, 2013

Sally's Soft-Baked Peanut Butter Chocolate Swirl Cookies

I made these cookies as a gift!  I needed something to give to my friend J. who was helping me create a bike, and Sally (S.'s new blog obsession) put this recipe up.  So I figured it was fate.

I don't have any pictures from the first batch except this one that was sent to me by J. in his request for more cookies.  I'm pretty pleased that must mean they were liked!


So, on Wednesday I settled into our kitchen and started making another batch!  For these cookies you have to make 2 separate doughs, one peanut butter and one chocolate and then both of them go in the fridge before forming the cookies.

I've decided the quality of chocolate really makes a difference, so I splurged for Ghirardelli's unsweetened (they were out of Dark) which is pretty darn tasty.

After the fridge time you form small balls out of each dough and then roll the two together.  I have learned that it's best to really squish and intermingle the doughs to ensure the cookies don't fall apart when baked.


Here are some of the unbaked cookies.  You can see how they are yin-yang-y in shape, I think it helps them meld together!  I also suggest smashing them down slightly before baking since I prefer cookies that spread rather than stay vertical.


You only bake them a short while and then let them cool on the pan.  We have a limited number of pans so this is the hardest part for me because I really want to move them so I can finish baking them all!  But you shouldn't move them.  I also somehow made this batch really large so they are a bit more fragile than the first round.


Overall these are not my favorite cookies, but they are ADDICTING.  The peanut flavor isn't that strong, and I think I preferred round one when I used crunchy peanut butter but they are good.  The chocolate is quite rich which is good, although I think the two doughs are best together since when I had excess of one dough (PB for batch one and chocolate for round two) they were not as good independently!

No comments:

Post a Comment